May 20, 2024  
2024-2025 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog 
2024-2025 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog

Student Life Services

Sul Ross State University recognizes the importance of providing opportunities for the academic, career, and personal development of its students. Co-curricular activities, programs, and services which enhance the student’s total development are, therefore, viewed as an integral aspect of the student’s college education.

The purpose of the Student Life Division is to support and enhance the educational mission of the University. The goals of the Student Life Division are based on the following beliefs:

  1. Each student is unique.
  2. Growth and learning should be geared toward the development of the whole individual.
  3. Student involvement enhances both growth and learning.

Some functions of the Student Life Division are:

  1. To plan and provide programs, services, and activities to broaden students’ opportunities for personal, educational, social, and cultural development.
  2. To develop leadership through participation in campus and community activities.
  3. To design programs and services that complement classroom activities.
  4. To assist students toward realization of their personal, academic, and career goals.
  5. To help students achieve their potential as human beings and become self-directed individuals.
  6. To provide a safe and healthy environment, in and out of the classroom, in which students can grow and learn.

Student Life programs and policies are designed to complement and enhance the students’ educational goals. Any student in need of assistance or information may contact the Student Life Office located in the University Center, Suite 211, email, or by phone at (432) 837-8037.

Student Support Services

Student Support Services is an academic support program designed to increase the academic performance, retention rates, and graduation rates of 160 program participants. A grant program funded through the U. S. Department of Education, SSS offers academic advising, career/major counseling, personal support, academic support programs, financial aid counseling, and social/cultural activities.

You may qualify for Student Support Services if you have a need for academic support and meet any of the following eligibility criteria:

  • Meet federal low-income guidelines.
  • Neither parent has a baccalaureate degree
  • Have a federally recognized disability

You must fill out an application in order to participate in Student Support Services. Applications can be obtained by visiting the Student Support Services office in Ferguson Hall 105, by calling the office at (432) 837-8118, or online at

Student Complaints

University policy (APM 4.07) addresses two types of student grievances: 1) grievance of grades or professional conduct of faculty or 2) grievance based on race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Student grievances of grades or professional conduct of faculty are the jurisdiction of academic affairs; grievances based on race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability are the jurisdiction of Student Life and Human Resources.

Student Health Services

Student Health Service (Alpine Campus)

On-Campus Care

The Student Health office is located in Morgan University Center, Suite 211G. It is staffed by a registered nurse who can be reached at Services include nursing assessments, minor treatments, over-the-counter medications, basic first-aid supplies, point of care testing and wellness talks. There is no charge to students for these services.

OpsMed is our contracted health care provider. They are a tele-med service and are available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. -5 p.m. with the exception of federal holidays. They will provide virtual visits when and where you need it! This service is paid for by the student medical fee and is only available during active enrollment periods. OpsMed will request a valid Sul Ross ID as proof of eligibility for student care. Sports physicals are provided to athletes for a fee of $65 and must be scheduled in advance. Students are responsible for the cost of medical and healthcare services outside of OpsMed’s agreed upon limited out-patient procedures.

TO GET STARTED WITH OPSMED: Please register with OpsMed through Athena Care at Click on “Our Patient Portal”. If you have never registered, please then click “sign up today” under “Don’t have a Patient Portal account?” and continue to enter your information. Once you are registered you will call or text 726-800-9802 to submit insurance information (if applicable) and schedule an appointment.

Please call Student Health Services at 432-837-8102 with any questions.

Immunization Status

Meningococcal immunization is required for first-time and transfer students less than 22 years of age. They must submit documented proof of meningococcal vaccination within the past five years and no later than the 10th day before the semester begins. New and transfer students are encouraged to contact their local medical provider or pharmacy regarding the meningococcal vaccination. The Health Services Coordinator has access to ImmTrac (State of Texas Immunization Registry). Please contact the Nurse at 432-837-8012 for further information.

Incoming students may check with their area’s Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS), physician’s office, or pharmacy about availability of the meningococcal vaccination (MCV4). Alpine’s DSHS region 10 facility is located at 205 North Cockrell, 432-837-3877.

Emergency Services

Students are responsible for the cost of emergency care. Local ambulance service (EMS) is available by dialing 911. Medical emergencies are transported to the Big Bend Regional Medical Center (BBRMC), which is a level-four trauma facility. Patients are flown out of town when a higher level of specialized care is needed. The emergency room physician chooses the method and source of transport as determined by a patient’s condition. BBRMC is located along Hwy 118 North and is open 24 hours a day. Their phone number is 432-837-3447. Students who wish to inquire about medical transportation memberships can visit for more information.

Student Health Insurance

Domestic students are strongly encouraged to maintain comprehensive health insurance. Due to the university’s remote location, having sufficient air ambulance coverage is crucial: Air Ambulance - Overview - AirMedCare Network - Membership. International students must show proof of health insurance that is good within the United States. Helpful links are available on the student health webpage under, or call Health Services at 432-837-8102.

Counseling and Accessibility Services

The staff of the Counseling and Accessibility Services Department strives for student success and for Sul Ross State University to be a safe, healthy learning environment for all involved students, staff and faculty.

The Counseling and Accessibility Services office is located in Ferguson Hall, Rm. 112. They can be contacted by phone at (432) 837-8203.


Counseling is an integral part of the Counseling and Accessibility Services office and the student-centered educational mission at Sul Ross State University. This office provides a supportive environment that helps facilitate positive change and promotes mental health and emotional well-being on campus.

The office is staffed with Licensed Professional Counselors. Services are confidential and free of charge to students, staff, and faculty of Sul Ross as well as their immediate family members. Any problem which is interfering with a person’s ability to function well in the academic or non-academic environment is appropriate for counseling.

The services provided include but are not limited to the following:

  • Brief, short-term individual and group counseling to address such issues as:

Adjusting to college

Relationship issues


Substance and alcohol abuse

Anxiety and Stress


Test anxiety

Eating disorders


Personal Growth and Development

Suicidal thoughts and feelings

Other related issues
  • Workshops, presentations, and screenings promoting mental health.
  • A referral network to off-campus providers.
  • Crisis intervention.

Services may be obtained by calling 432-837-8203 or coming by Ferguson Hall Rm. 112, Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm.

Counseling at the Middle Rio Grande Campuses

Graduate students in the Counselor Education program, pursuing their LPC offer free, confidential counseling services for the students, staff, and faculty of the Middle Rio Grande campuses. A counselor can provide assistance and support through life’s difficult times. If you are interested in counseling services, of if you know of someone you would like to refer for counseling, you can inquire via email at or you can contact (via telephone or email) the following individual for immediate assistance: Dr. Todd Russell, or (210)-253-0884

Accessibility Services

Sul Ross State University supports equal employment and educational opportunities for all persons. No person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity sponsored by Sul Ross State University on any basis prohibited by applicable law, including but not limited to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, or disability.

Sul Ross State University is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Qualified students with disabilities needing academic or other accommodations to facilitate full participation in our programs, services and activities should contact the Accessibilities Coordinator, Ferguson Hall Room 112, Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., 432-837-8203 at the Alpine campus. At the MRGC Campuses, Room C102, Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. or contact by phone at 830-758-5006 or 830-279-3003.

Documentation by appropriate professionals should be provided to this office well in advance of the anticipated need for disability accommodations. An appointment should be made with the Coordinator to discuss individual needs, and specific requests. Please allow time for our office to process each request on a case-by-case basis, make recommendations and arrange for appropriate and reasonable accommodations. Counseling services are provided for interested students.

Orientation Programs

Orientation programs for new students are provided at all campuses to help students better understand the University’s expectations and learn about available programs and services.

New Student Orientation (NSO)

During the summer in Alpine, one or two-day advising and registration events are offered to all new incoming students. Students are able to come to campus and meet with their academic advisors, get advised and registered in classes as well as take care of any university business such as residential living, cashiers, and financial aid.

Camp Brand ‘Em Orientation/Welcome in Alpine

All new students are required to attend Camp Brand ‘Em Orientation, which takes place before school starts in August. Orientation engages students with their peers, builds traditions, introduces students to student life activities, and provides breakout sessions to learn about resources available to all students at Sul Ross State University.

Parent sessions are provided for parents regarding resources and student life.

The schedule can be viewed on the Sul Ross web site.

Students are charged a fee of $125 to their tuition and fee bills.

At each of the Middle Rio Grande campuses, orientation programs for new students are coordinated through Student Services.

Saturday Orientation/Welcome at the MRGC Campuses

Orientation for new students is held the Saturday before classes begin at all three of the Middle Rio Grande campuses. Students are introduced to the staff and meet their faculty advisors in order to review degree plans. They also learn about the various on-campus departments and their functions.

Tutoring and Learning Services

Some students may find it necessary to seek academic assistance. Tutors are provided at each campus site for the purpose of academic support and tutoring. Those students, hired by the University as tutors, have excelled in areas of writing and mathematics, have shown competency in doing research and in relating to other students. The tutors are prepared to help students in all areas and welcome the opportunity to be of assistance. Students may contact the Student Services Specialists for more information.

Alpine, 432-837-8865 Eagle Pass, 830-758-5037
Del Rio, 830-703-4812 Uvalde, 830-279-3027

Lobo Den

The Lobo Den offer students online tutoring in writing, mathematics, science, etc. The Writing Centers are located at the following sites:

Alpine Brian Wildenthal Memorial Library, Room 135, 432-837-8982,  
Del Rio Rio Grande College Technology Building, Room 301, 830-703-4817
Eagle Pass Rio Grande College Building, Room D129, 830-758-5035
Uvalde Southwest Texas Junior College, Fly Building, 830-591-2908

Writing Center

The Writing Center is an online service offered on Blackboard to any currently enrolled SRSU/MRGC student. The Writing Center offers video chat and asynchronous feedback. Support services are available for both undergraduate and graduate coursework related to writing, reading, and research. To find the Writing Center, log in to Blackboard>Organization>SRSU Writing Center. Contact Writing Center Coordinator Robin Alvarez at

All tutoring services are free to SRSU and MRGC students.

Career Services and Testing Center

Career Services

The director of Career Services and Testing is available to assist current students and alumni in initiating, developing, and effectively implementing career plans. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, or can be contacted at A variety of services are offered to help students clarify their career and educational goals, assisting in the preparation of future career endeavors upon completion of their academic studies. The office of Career Services aims to provide students with the preparation that is necessary for success during the transition from academics to the workforce.

Students are encouraged to utilize services throughout their academic career. The office of Career Services assists:

  • entering students, in selecting a major by exploring career options and interests through career assessments including Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), Clifton Strengths, ONET, and more;
  • freshman and second-year students, in tailoring career decisions, exploring internship opportunities, considering options such as graduate study, specializing in a chosen field, and summer employment; and
  • juniors and seniors, in selecting a graduate school, securing an internship, creating career portfolios, writing a resume and cover letters, preparing for interviews, job search strategies, and accessing job openings.

Services include:

  • Career advising

Consultations with the Career Services director provide individualized assistance to students involving college- and career-related concerns made by appointment.

  • Workshops

Scheduled presentations and workshops are given on various topics, including career planning and exploration; job search strategies, including networking skills; résumé and cover letter composition; and interviewing.

Job Fairs & On-Campus Recruiting

The office hosts two job fairs each year (one in spring and one in fall) where employers are invited to visit the campus to provide opportunities for students to meet and discuss career options. At other times, recruiters visit campus to speak to students to advertise their employment opportunities. Visits are posted in the University Center.

Résumé/Career Portfolio

Career Services assists in helping students build their career portfolios. The portfolios can include letters of recommendation, a skills summary, and the development of a LinkedIn account.

Computer Resources

Computers are available for career exploration in UC 211B. Several software programs are available for students to use. These include programs for résumé writing, job-search strategies, and resources. Contact the director of Career Services and Testing to utilize or inquire about these or other resources. You can also review the Career Services web page. Computer use is determined on first-come, first-served basis.

On-Campus and Community Employment

The Department of Career Services offers assistance to students seeking employment while in school. Work Study positions are posted on the employment opportunities site. Local jobs are posted on the job board on the first floor of the University Center and on the Career Services Center website. Assistance with summer-job placement and internships is also available.

Testing Services

Testing information is available at the center for the tests listed below. Information on fees, test dates, and registration packets is available in the office or on the web at

Local tests require registration or appointments. Correspondence-course testing, professional-licensing examinations, and other test administrations are given by arrangement, telephone 432-837-8178 or 432-837-8357 or email

Exams for college credit (such as CLEP), proficiency examinations (such as the GED), and others may be taken through Career Services by appointment. Proctoring for other universities is available with an administrative fee.

The following exams are administered on campus on national test dates and fees are charged accordingly:

  • GRE (Graduate Record Exam)
  • ACT (American College Testing)
  • SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test)
  • LSAT (Law School Admission Test)
  • TSIA2 (Texas Success Initiative Assessment 2)
  • TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills; Nursing Entrance Exam)
  • GED (General Educational Development)
  • TCOLE/TCLEDDS (Peace Officer & Jailer Exam)
  • TExES (Texas Examinations of Educator Standards)
  • TCEQ (Texas Commission on Environmental Quality)

Visit for more information.

On-campus Services

University Bookstore

The bookstore is owned by the university and leased to Texas Book Company. Its purpose is to serve the campus community by stocking academic-related supplies. The Bookstore also stocks art and drafting supplies, gifts, candy, souvenirs, novelties, first-aid supplies, drug items, and University imprinted clothing.

Refund Policy

A valid receipt and picture identification are required for all refunds. Refunds will be given in the same form as original payment.


The Sul Ross State University Online Bookstore, powered by TextbookX, operates completely online and can be visited at Created in partnership with Akademos, Inc. and powered by TextbookX, Sul Ross’ Online Bookstore simplifies the textbook process for students while providing them with a variety of course materials and physical and digital textbook formats.

Students log into the bookstore using their LoboID login, select their materials, checkout, and their materials will be delivered to them via email or shipped via USPS, Fed Ex, or UPS.

Standard Return Policy

Purchased items can be returned to us for a full refund in the amount of the merchandise price paid , provided the following conditions are met:

  1. Item was not purchased on our marketplace.
  2. Items returned within 2 weeks after the start of class OR within 30 days of the order confirmation
  3. Item was not sold as “Not returnable”.
  4. If the item is “consumable”, for example a one-time-use access code, it has not been opened, used or had the access code revealed.
  5. Item was not sold as a rental.
  6. Bundles, looseleaf items or any other sealed item must not be opened.
  7. If the item is not a replacement.
  8. Anything sent to us which is not in a refundable condition, will not be sent back to you.

Please verify your items meet the above conditions before sending.

Ebook Refund Policy

Most eBooks are refundable under certain circumstances:

  1. You purchased your subscription to this eBook no more than 2 weeks ago.
  2. You have not viewed or printed any more than 10% of the text.

Pearson E-Books are non-refundable once they have been redeemed.

Marketplace Return Policy

  1. Marketplace returns are at the discretion of the seller.
  2. In order to request a return, select your order from the drop down and choose the link under “Returns Info” to message the seller.

For Rented Books Being Returned

(Rental returns are not eligible for a refund)

By the last day of your rental period, you must either buyout your rental or mail your rental book back. To mail the book back:

  1. Log in and go to your Purchases page, then click on the Rental Control Panel link for your rental book you want to return. Here you will find the option to print your shipping label.
  2. Print your FREE shipping label.
  3. Put all of your rental books in one box, tape the box shut and then tape the shipping label onto the outside of the box. If you rented more than one book, you can still put all of the books in one box.
  4. Drop off the box at a shipping location by the last day of your rental period.

Buyback Policy

Instructions for buyback can be found here:

Vehicle Registration

Alpine: All faculty, staff, and students, full or part-time, and visitors, who operate a vehicle on university property, regularly or occasionally, are required to register the vehicle with the University Police Department and obtain a parking permit.

Visitors who park on university property may obtain a visitor or temporary parking permit, at no charge, from the University Police Department.

Parking and Traffic Regulations governing the operation of motor vehicles on university property are published in the Student Handbook and on the UPD website .

Post Office

(Alpine Campus)

The University Post Office serves students, faculty, and staff. All students are required to have a local mailing address and the campus post office provides a convenient, economical service. The post office window is open from 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Money orders may be purchased from the Post Office on weekdays when the window is open.

Dining on Campus

(Alpine Campus)

Sul Ross State University partners with ARAMARK Higher Education, Campus Dining, to provide dining experiences throughout the University. Campus Dining offers an all you care to eat residential dining room located in the University Center. The options include several venues which offer made to order entrees, healthy salads and wraps, as well as sandwiches, burgers, and a variety of pizza, pasta, and sauces. Campus Dining is open seven days a week with menu options changing for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Retail outlets are available in the University Center and in the Lobo Village Community Building offering convenience items and snacks.

The University Food Committee meets regularly with the Director of Dining Services to discuss menus and service in the dining room and the retail outlets. This committee also assists in planning special events throughout the semester.

University Housing

(Alpine Campus)

The Office of Residential Living at Sul Ross State University is designed to be supportive of each student’s educational experience. Besides providing convenient and cost-effective housing arrangements, living on campus will give you a built-in opportunity to get acquainted with other students, be involved in campus life, participate in programs and activities, encounter challenging ideas, and develop new skills. Studies have shown that students who live on campus are more likely to be satisfied with their collegiate experience, be more involved in campus life, achieve higher academic standards, have a more positive self-image, and are more likely to complete their degree than students who do not live on campus.

General Housing Policy

Undergraduate students who are enrolled for 12 or more credit hours in the long semesters (fall and spring) are required to reside in the residence halls for the first two full academic years of their education (four long semesters). Living on campus at another university prior to Sul Ross can be submitted for consideration towards the residency requirement.

*Exceptions to the policy may be made for students who:

  • live at the established residence of their parent, grandparent, or legal guardian within a 100-mile radius of the Sul Ross campus (Documentation must be presented regarding legal guardianship.);
  • are married (A marriage license or similar document must be presented to the Residential Living Office.);
  • are veterans and have spent at least 12 months on active duty;
  • are at least 21 years of age before the first class day of the academic year; or
  • are single parents with a dependent living with them full time during the academic year.

*This is not a comprehensive list.

All housing exemption requests and supporting documents must be submitted by July 31st for the following fall term or by November 30th for the following spring term. Please submit this form to along with all required documentation listed to request to live off campus. The form cannot be processed unless all of the required information is submitted. The university reserves the right to deny any off-campus appeals. Failure to comply with Residential Living requirements may result in disciplinary action, which may include a complete charge for room and meal plan. The housing-exemption request form can be found here.

Housing Facilities

Sul Ross provides one traditional and two contemporary residence halls with 585 beds for single students,60 efficiency apartments, and 16 double apartments for individual students 21 years or older or upperclassman in status. There are 24 university housing units available for married couples and students with children. To qualify for University student housing, a student must enroll in classes each academic term and submit required documentation dependent on housing type requested.


Sul Ross provides two contemporary residence halls with 496 beds, plus 60 efficiency apartments and 16 double apartments for individual students 21 years or older or upperclassman in status. There are eight university housing units available for married couples and students with children. To qualify for university student housing, a student must enroll in classes each academic term and submit required documentation depending upon housing type requested.

Prospective students should first obtain official admission to the university from the Admissions

Office before applying for housing. Application for admission to the university and application for university housing accommodations are separate transactions. Space in university housing is reserved on a first-come, first-served basis.

Residence Hall: Students wishing to make housing reservations should fill out a housing application, which may be accessed on the Residential Living website. The housing application must be accompanied by a $50 non-refundable application fee. Suite-mate requests are granted when space is available and when both applications indicate the same preference. Theme-community requests are assigned by order of preference as space permits. All students who apply for accommodations in the residence halls and are accepted sign an agreement for the full academic year (August-May).

Efficiency Apartments: Individual students who are 21 years or older or have achieved upperclassman status may apply to live in the efficiency apartments by filling out an apartment application which is accessible on the Residential Living website. The apartment application must be accompanied by a $50 non-refundable application fee. Apartment rent continues during the entire time the student has occupancy of the unit. Students who apply for an efficiency apartment are placed on a first-come, first-served waiting list based on the date the application fee is received by Residential Living.

Lobo Pack Double Apartments: Individual students who are 21 years or older or have achieved upperclassman status may apply to live in the efficiency apartments by filling out an apartment application which is accessible on the Residential Living website. The apartment application must be accompanied by a $50 non-refundable application fee. Apartment rent continues during the entire time the student has occupancy of the unit. The student renting the unit must be enrolled each term (including summers). Students who apply for a Lobo Pack Double Apartment are placed on a first-come, first-served waiting list based on the date the application fee is received by Residential Living. Suite-mate requests are granted when space is available and when both applications indicate the same preference.

Theme Communities: Themed halls and/or wings bring together students with similar interests, goals, and attitudes and provide specialized programming to explore those ideas. Theme communities provide opportunities for civic responsibility, self-awareness, discipline, and a strong sense of community.

Refund of Room and Board Fees

If you have requested a room reservation and wish to cancel it, the request must be done in writing and email to by the following dates in order to receive a refund: by August 1 for fall, by December 15 for spring; by May 1 for summer I; and by June 1 for summer II.

You must complete the checkout procedures with the Residential Living staff at the end of your contract term. The living quarters must be clean, all trash and personal items removed, and the keys must be returned at the time of checkout. You will be assessed for any damages sustained during the occupancy period and/or a cleaning charge if your room or housing unit is left unclean. Any additional charges will be billed directly to your student account.

Students who have paid housing fees during a regular semester and officially withdraw and check out of the residence hall or, if permitted, move out of the residence hall to live off campus, are entitled to a pro-rated refund rate.

Family Housing and Apartments

Apartment and residence hall rents begin when the key is issued and continue until the student moves out and the key is returned. For the residence halls, rent is calculated from the first day of one semester through the last day of the semester, which includes holiday periods and semester breaks. For the apartments, rent is calculated from the first day of the month and the last day of the month in each semester. The payment schedule follows the university billing-and-payment schedule. If rent is not paid as scheduled, the resident may be asked to move out. Improper check out can result in additional fines.

Apartment residents only: Apartment residents are required to submit written notification of their departure via email (to at least 30 days prior to their move-out date.  

Campus Activities & Recreation

Campus Activities Office

(Alpine Campus)

The Campus Activities Office, located in the University Center, Room 108, operates under the concept of a broad-based educational environment. Co-curricular activities, available through campus organizations, including Sully Productions, offer valuable experiences which complement the educational mission of the University. Through Campus Activities, students are offered the opportunity to interact with other students, faculty, and staff, maximizing professional and personal development. Students are encouraged to take advantage of leadership opportunities and are supported through leadership training and communication with advisors. The Campus Activities staff members serve as resources to all campus organizations.

Student Travel Policy

The university sponsors numerous off-campus activities involving students. To effectively manage these activities, the university has developed guidelines, which may be found in the Student Life Office, UC 211, or in the MRGC Student Services Office. These policies pertain to any official travel undertaken by one or more students to reach an event or activity that is located more than 25 miles from the campus. These policies are also to be in effect whenever a university vehicle is used or university funds are used to lease a vehicle. One individual who oversees the activity is identified as the responsible university official and is responsible for insuring compliance with this policy. For more information, visit:

Campus Student Organizations

Campus student organizations provide an important aspect of student life at the university. Membership in organizations enhances students’ social, personal, career, and academic interests. The educational and recreational values gained from such membership are rewarding. The Campus Activities Office will assist student organizations and help students interested in forming new organizations on campus.

Student Government Association

The Student Government Association, as the student governance organization, exists for the sole purpose of serving the student community. The university recognizes the need for, and the worthwhile contribution of, student input in all facets of the university decision-making process. The Student Government Association is active in this regard and works for the betterment of student life and academic quality. The Student Government Association Senate meets bi-weekly in open meetings, and students are encouraged to participate in their government.

Copies of the constitution and other information may be secured at the Student Government Association Office, located in the University Center, Room 201. Student associations on both the Alpine and RGC campuses promote involvement in university life.

Sully Productions

(Alpine Campus)

Sully Productions consists of students, faculty, and staff who volunteer their time to select, promote, and produce a variety of programs. Concerts, comedians, movies, and other activities are provided for little or no admission charge. Experience gained in working with Sully Productions can be of tremendous value while in school, as well as after graduation. For information about membership, contact the Campus Activities Office, Box C-190, Alpine, Texas 79832, or call 432-837-8191.

University Center

(Alpine Campus)

Located at the north end of the mall, the University Center is the focal point of campus life. This 8.5 million dollar, 57,000 square foot facility is a gathering place for students, faculty, and staff wishing to relax and visit with members of the University community. The University Center houses the offices of Student Life, UC Services, Career Services and Testing, Student Health Services, Campus Activities and the Student Government Association.

The University Center provides students with easy access to the bookstore, post office, food court, and an ATM. The Game Room has pool tables, flat screen television complete with Xbox One, PS4, arcade games as well as ping-pong and a variety of board games.

A variety of meeting rooms can accommodate groups from 30 to 300, with state-of-the-art audio-visual equipment. These rooms are used extensively by campus groups, as well as organizations and individuals from the surrounding community. For information on room use, fees and configurations contact the UC Services Coordinator at (432) 837-8191 or visit our University Center website .

Recreational Programs

(Alpine Campus)

The Recreational Sports Program at Sul Ross State University is housed at the Graves-Pierce Recreational Complex. As part of recreational programs, we offer a comprehensive Intramural Program. Intramural activities are both team and individual oriented which include offerings such as flag football, volleyball, basketball, indoor soccer, water polo, softball, kickball, dodge ball, and racquetball. These programs are open to all students, faculty and staff and are geared to both competitive and recreational sides.

Wellness and Fitness Classes are offered daily in the Graves-Pierce Complex. These classes include Yoga, Pilates, BOSU, Tai Chi, Spinning, Self Defense, Dance, Qigong, and Meditation. The schedule is set at the beginning of each semester and is determined by the instructor. Please stop by and try something new and challenging to both your body and mind.

The Graves-Pierce Complex has numerous opportunities for you to exercise or take part in drop-in activities. The Complex has three racquetball/handball courts, basketball/volleyball court, indoor track, cardio room, weight room, dance studio, sauna, and locker rooms.

The university Rec Field is located between Jackson Field and the softball field and offers multiple sport field lines for student, club, and community use.

Employment opportunities in the Recreational Sports Department abound. From Intramural officials in basketball, flag football, and many others, to front desk attendants, lifeguards, and special events staff. For more information, contact us at 432-837-8299.


(Alpine Campus)

Intercollegiate Athletics

Nationally, Sul Ross is a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA Division III currently transitioning into DII). At the conference level, Sul Ross is a member of the American Southwest Conference, a coeducational, non-athletic scholarship conference. Once going DII Sul Ross will be a member of the Lone Star Conference. The program provides an opportunity for men to participate in football, basketball, baseball, soccer, cross country, and tennis. Sports for women include volleyball, softball, basketball, soccer, cross country, and tennis. Specific questions about the program and student eligibility for participation should be directed to the Athletic Director.

Intercollegiate Rodeo

Sul Ross is a founding member of the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association. Because Sul Ross rodeo team members were instrumental in founding the organization, and the charter was signed at Sul Ross, we are often referred to as the “Birthplace of Intercollegiate Rodeo.” Men’s and Women’s teams compete in the Southwest Region.

Philosophy of Athletics

Intercollegiate athletics exist at Sul Ross for the benefit of our students and to provide, among other benefits, a training ground for those who desire to develop their coaching and teaching skills for careers after graduation in public schools and beyond. The philosophy of NCAA Division III athletics is to provide opportunities for athletic participation and competition in the spirit and tradition of college life and activities. Since no student athlete received financial aid for their participation, coaches and other faculty members should make it clear to each participating athlete that their primary commitment and obligation is to complete a course of study leading to a degree in a field of their choosing. Student athletes are students first and shall be held to academic and disciplinary standards that are comparable to those expected of all other students in order to participate in their chosen co-curricular activities.

It is the responsibility of the coaches to conduct themselves as appropriate to provide examples for their student athletes, to recruit student athletes who have the character and ability to participate with honor and dignity, and to ensure that these student athletes maintain their academic and disciplinary eligibility. Coaches are expected to ensure that students learn teamwork and fair play in a competitive atmosphere. Coaches and students should always conduct themselves in a manner that reflects personal integrity and brings honor and respect to themselves and to Sul Ross.

Thus, at Sul Ross State University, we expect student athletes to return each year and graduate. We further expect to field teams that seek to be competitive at the conference, regional, and national level.

Sul Ross athletics emphasize the total well-being of the student athletes. In order to achieve this emphasis, the athletic program at Sul Ross will:

  1. Maximize the number and variety of athletic opportunities in varsity and intramural sports.
  2. Ensure that student athletes receive the same treatment as other students with no special privileges in admissions, academic advising, course selection, grading, living accommodations, or financial assistance. Similarly, student athletes will not be denied rights or opportunities that would be available to them as non-athletes.
  3. Control, finance, and staff the athletics program through the same general procedures as other departments of the university.
  4. Give equal emphasis to men’s and women’s sports and ensure that the desired quality of competition is similar in all sports.
  5. Support student athletes in their efforts to achieve high levels of performance by providing them with adequate facilities, competent coaching and comparable competitive opportunities with student athletes from similar institutions, and
  6. Give primary emphasis to in-season competition, but exceptional teams and individuals may participate in post championship play.

Eligibility for Athletics

A student-athlete may represent Sul Ross State University in intercollegiate athletics competition only when that student-athlete is in compliance with all applicable provisions of the constitution and bylaws of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (Division III), all eligibility rules established by the American Southwest Conference, and all local eligibility requirements established by the University Athletics Council.

  1. Good Standing with the University. In order to compete in intercollegiate athletics, the student-athlete shall not currently be on any type of University probation, either academic or disciplinary. Student athlete must be making satisfactory progress toward a baccalaureate degree.
  2. Satisfactory Progress. Satisfactory progress means that a student-athlete must maintain at least a 2.00 cumulative grade point average and have accumulated the following semester credit hours:
  3. Second Season. To participate in the second season in a sport the student-athlete must have accumulated at least twenty-four semester credit hours (24 SCH) which can be applied to the student-athlete’s degree plan.
  4. Third Season. To participate in the third season in a sport the student must have accumulated at least forty-eight semester credit hours (48 SCH) which can be applied to the student-athlete’s degree plan.
  5. Fourth Season. To participate in the fourth season in a sport the student-athlete must have accumulated at least seventy-two semester credit hours (72 SCH) which can be applied to the student-athlete’s degree plan.
  6. Full Time Enrollment. According to the NCAA bylaws a student-athlete shall be enrolled in at least 12 semester credit hours (12 SCH) to be eligible for intercollegiate competition. This is known as the 12-hour enrollment rule. However, graduate students who have received an undergraduate degree from SRSU may compete while enrolled in at least 9 semester credit hours (9 SCH) of graduate courses.
  7. Repeat Courses. Undergraduates may count a maximum of one repeat course passed with a grade of “D” per semester or the Inter-Term towards satisfying the 12-hour enrollment rule. Repeat courses previously passed with a grade of “C” or better shall not count toward satisfying the 12-hour enrollment rule.
  8. Inter-term Courses. Courses taken during an Inter-term shall be included on the transcript for the Fall or Spring semester as selected by the student-athlete.
  9. Developmental Courses. Developmental courses required by the University may be used to satisfy the 12-semester credit hour rule and included in the student-athlete’s grade point average for eligibility purposes. However, developmental courses may not be used to satisfy the total of required semester credit hours for the third and fourth seasons of competition.

Student-athletes may appeal to have their eligibility restored if there are mitigating circum- stances related to their academic progress. All appeals must be submitted to the Athletics Council in writing, with copies of all transcripts, degree plans, and extensive documentation of any mitigating circumstances. The decision of the Athletics Council will be final.

Alumni Affairs Office & Sul Ross Alumni Association

Alumni Affairs acts as a liaison between the University and former students and operates the Sul Ross State University Alumni Association. The Alumni Association keeps alumni informed and connected to the University by providing them with news, social and professional networking activities, and opportunities for service. For more information, visit the Alumni Association webpage at